07 June 2006

Vox Civitatis?

Why "vox civitatis"?

Some of my friends have suggested that "vox civitatis" sounds like a venereal disease. And then, this morning, I got this in an e-mail from my boyfriend:

Vox Civitatis sounds like something that a woman might catch and need penicillin to cure.

“I’m sorry Ma’am, you have Vox Civitatis,” the doctor said.

“How will I tell my husband?” she replied, burying her head into her hands.


Actually, vox civitatis is Latin for "voice of the city." Cities have facinated me for as long as I remember. My infatuation with cities as a child eventually guided me into urban planning and public administration in college, and into the career I have now.

Just so you all know, it's not contagious and it's nothing to be embarrassed about.


Panorama of Salt Lake City

1 comment:

Robert said...

I knew what it was good sir!